Closing date: 4pm, Thursday 19th November 2020
Health Consumers Queensland is offering three consumers and carers in metro, regional and rural areas the opportunity to lead consultation with their local community on Bereavement Care.
Palliative Care Queensland has contracted Health Consumers Queensland to undertake this consumer consultation. There will be three Kitchen Table Discussions hosted throughout Queensland.
The project aims to understand current supports available in relation to bereavement care following the death of a loved one due to a terminal illness; the gaps and opportunities for improvement in this space; how might these supports be accessed/delivered during a disaster (such as the COVID-19 pandemic); and share patient experiences and stories about end of life.
About Kitchen Table Discussions
Kitchen Table Discussions are community engagement sessions led by local people for local people. They allow individuals and small groups to participate in discussions at a time of day, and in a place, that suits them. The discussions enable health consumers, carers and community members who do not ordinarily participate in healthcare consultation to have their say in a safe and supportive environment.
Each Kitchen Table Discussion will be led by a Consumer or Carer Host with a strong community network to invite them to a discussion in a location of their choosing. The Host guides the discussion with a set of questions provided to them and reports back the outcomes to Health Consumers Queensland.
Role of the Discussion Host
As the host your role will be to plan, coordinate and facilitate a once-only 90-minute discussion with six community members which can be held online via Zoom or Skype or in-person following COVID-19 guidelines. This includes:
- Inviting participants who would be interested in being part of a discussion on this important subject. They will be your local community connections (ideally, people who do not normally have their voice heard in healthcare).
- Choosing a venue, time and date between 25th November to 11th December that works for your participants.
- Host the session.
- Provide your feedback to Health Consumers Queensland by Thursday 14th December 2020.
To support you with this, you will receive:
- Training via a Zoom video conference call 24th November 2020. Zoom is free to download.
- A comprehensive Discussion Host Guide.
- Questions to ask participants during the discussions, agenda and report template.
- Support from Health Consumers Queensland to ensure you have a successful session.
Who are we looking for as Consumer or Carer Hosts?
We would like our hosts to have personal experience or an interest in Palliative Care and who have strong community connections. We are also interested in representing the views of a range of consumers who may not typically have a say in healthcare. To achieve this, we are particularly looking for hosts who are consumers and/or carers and can demonstrate they have strong links with their communities.
Remuneration and Support
Hosts – you will be remunerated at Health Consumers Queensland’s day meeting rate of $374 for an in-person session or $187 if you are hosting your session online. You will also be reimbursed up to $70.00 to cover catering for your in-person session (on return of receipts).
Participants – Health Consumers Queensland will post a $60 gift voucher to each Kitchen Table Discussion participant for their time.