Health Consumers Queensland invites Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health consumers, carers and community members to host a yarning circle to hear from local people who would like to help shape healthcare in the Townsville region. We are seeking four Yarning Circle hosts for this opportunity.
Closing date: 1 pm, Thursday 26 May
What is the Health Equity Strategy?
Townsville Hospital and Health Service has embarked on consultation to develop a historic strategy to improve health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- The strategy will be codesigned by the community, health providers, organisations, and other key stakeholders,
- It will focus on areas where the health system can be redesigned and reshaped,
- The ultimate goal is to Close the Gap in life expectancy by 2031.
This strategy will only succeed if Townsville HHS harness the expertise and wisdom of their local community through meaningful engagement.
To assist community members to have a say in their health service Health Equity Strategy, Health Consumers Queensland has been engaged by Queensland Health’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Division to support Townsville Hospital and Health Service with their Health Equity community consultations.
You can learn more about the Health Equity Strategies on the Queensland Health: Making Tracks Together website First Nations Health Equity | Queensland Health
About the Yarning Circles
The Health Equity Strategy Yarning Circles are yarns led by local people for local people. They allow small groups of up to 10 community members to discuss a number of questions provided to them, at a time of day, and in a location, that suits them. The yarning circles enable health consumers, carers and community members who do not ordinarily participate in healthcare consultation to have their say in a safe, informal and supportive circle.
Who are we looking for as Consumer or Carer Hosts?
This opportunity would suit people who:
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- Live in the Townsville HHS region including Palm Island, Townsville, Ingham, Charters Towers, Burdekin (Ayr and Home Hill), Richmond and Hughenden.
- Have strong local networks and connections
- Have an interest in improving healthcare for their people and their community.